How Bad Are Album Sales Nowdays?

Short answer: Pretty fucking bad. Back in the day I used to be very obsessed with album sales. I actually bought a few albums from record stores to help support my favorite artists, but now with music being so easily available, I don't really care who sells how much anymore. Recently, I decided to check some soundscan numbers, and just as I expected, nobody is selling records. Apparently you need a shit ton of promotion and an already loyal following to even compete on the charts. If this was 2002, Em's album would have been triple platinum already. Even Usher isn't platinum yet.

Here are some first week sales numbers. Mind you, these include physical AND digital sales

Big Boi- Sir Lucious Left Foot
62,000

Plies - Goon Affiliated
57,221

Curren$y - Pilot Talk
10,764

Juvenile - Beast Mode
1,045

Lil Flip - Ahead of My Time
205

I know the last two albums went under the radar but damn, K-Fed sold more than that. This makes me want to stop posting music so these artists can make some money - NOT

Comments

Popular Posts